NanoGreens On Sale Here
NanoGreens is another really great example of a green powder. They’ve got just about everything you could ask for from a green powder formula, minus probiotics, which isn’t necessarily a deal breaker. Their formula combines a variety of grasses, algae, herbal extracts, fruit and vegetables, using a proprietary process and formula for their phytonutrient fruit blend, which is great for people looking to add more antioxidants into their diet. NanoGreens also makes the interesting boast that they’re the number one doctor recommended brand of green powder. I have no way of verifying that, but it’s probably accurate, which is impressive. If you’re wondering when doctors every recommend a natural supplement like this, they sometimes will do so for patients undergoing chemotherapy or other difficult treatments that ravage the body and make it difficult to eat and get proper nutrition. A powder like this one helps a patient keep from being malnourished even when they aren’t able to eat as much as they should.
Some Notable Ingredients
- Green Tea Extract (50% Polyphenol) – This is something that you don’t see very often in other powders. Green tea is a powerful herbal extract that can help kick start the body’s fat burning action. The 50% polyphenol content is significant because it’s the polyphenols, also known as catechins that provide this benefit. In a study done by the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, green tea extract was shown to kick start the thermogenic fat burning process in the body. 690 mg of polyphenols taken for 3 months was demonstrated to significantly decrease the subject’s total fat area. The reason for this is that the polyphenols found in green tea inhibit an certain enzyme known as catechol-O-methyltranferase, or COMT, which has been shown to degrade main fat-burning hormone of the body, norepinephrine.
- Phytonutrient Blend – Their proprietary phytonutrient blend is pretty impressive. It combines a wide variety of fruits and vegetables using a process that makes them more bio-available to the body, giving a person the most bang for their buck. A lot of the ingredients in a green powder formula are complex and difficult for the body to break down and digest. So having a proprietary process for making these ingredients more bio-available can be a really helpful thing.
The only two cons that I can see from this product are the fact that it doesn’t contain probiotics, which I like to have in a green powder, and it has what I consider to be a few fillers. I don’t like soy lecithin. It’s not really all that helpful of a compound and it’s cheap. This powder has 1250 mg of it, which is a lot. It also has 2500 mg of rice bran and 2500 mg of oat beta-glucan, which are pretty much just simple fiber. Together, these three compounds comprise half of the total serving, which to me seems like a lot, especially when it’s called a green powder, not a fiber powder. But most green powder formulas have a lot of fiber in them, and fiber is good to have in the diet anyway, so this isn’t a huge drawback. And overall, for the money, it’s hard to do much better than this powder.
PureGreen Protein on Sale Here
PureGreen Protein Review
At last there’s a reputable company making a serious effort of creating a high quality plant protein powder. If there was a green powder company that I would trust to tackle this difficult task, it would be Vibrant Health, makers of Green Vibrance. So why is it so difficult to make a vegetable protein powder? The reason is because vegetables, though they have amino acids and proteins, often have a very poor protein profile when matched up to human muscles. Human muscles require specific amino acids in high quantities, amino acids which are rare in the plant world. Whey protein and egg albumin on the other hand, match up very well to human muscle tissue, which is why they’re so effective at building and maintaining lean muscle. Most vegetable proteins do a poor job of building and maintaining human muscle tissue. Instead, the amino acids in most plant proteins are converted into energy and used for other jobs in the body instead of being used for muscle growth and maintenance. That’s what’s so great about this protein powder. Vibrant Health has endeavored to create a plant protein powder with an amino acid profile similar to whey and eggs.
The reason why there’s an asterisk next to completeness is that, for the purposes of this article, we’re measuring completeness in terms of protein powder completeness, not in terms of green powder completeness. As a protein powder, especially a plant protein powder, PureGreen Protein is very complete. Vibrant Health has done a great job of duplicating the amino acid profile in the best animal sources. If you are a vegetarian or vegan, this product is definitely something you should be taking a look at. I’ve not seen another plant protein powder nearly as power packed with good muscle supporting amino acids. Here’s a quick list of some of the ingredients:
- Pea Protein — Pea protein has an amino acid profile that’s similar to the profile needed by human muscles. It’s an excellent base for a good plant based protein powder.
- Spirulina — Spirulina is an excellent source of protein, containing more protein by volume than any other source on the planet, including beef, chicken, fish, and pork. It has a nice balance of amino acids, giving the body a boost of everything it needs.
- Rice Protein – Rice protein also has a nice amino acid profile for human muscle tissue that gives the body a couple of amino acids that pea protein is lacking.
Another great thing about this product is the cost. It’s a bit more expensive than traditional protein powders like whey, but not much more than other plant protein powders like hemp protein. If you’re interested in a plant protein powder, then this is probably the very best product for your money. Like we said earlier, Vibrant Health is probably the top manufacturer of green powder formulas on the market, and they’ve done a really great job with the idea and the creation of this plant protein powder..
Vitamineral Green On Sale Here
Vitamineral Green Review
Vitamineral Green is another example of a green powder formula that has it all. Not only does it give you a nice assortment of grasses, algae, and vegetables, it also has a lot of extras like digestive enzymes and probiotics. Another great thing about this powder is that it doesn’t have any fillers that a lot of green powder formulas have, things like lecithin, apple fiber, and other cheap ingredients that don’t really do the body any good. That’s why we gave it 5 out of 5 stars for completion. On the contrary, Vitamineral Green is power packed with things like:
- 7 Different Types of Grasses
- Nova Scotia Dulse and Icelandic Kelp
- Digestive Enzymes and Probiotics
One potential problem however is with the bio-availability of Vitamineral Green. The ingredients in green powders are generally notoriously difficult for the body to break down. That’s why green powder formulas usually come with things like probiotics and digestive enzymes, to help the body break down and absorb all of the complex nutrients. Not only that, but a lot of green powder manufacturers have proprietary methods of freeze drying and rendering their green powders more bio-available to the body. I think of Garden of Life’s Poten-Zyme process in which many of the nutrients are already pre-digested and fermented, helping the stomach absorb as much as possible. Other powder makers, like Green Vibrance, leave as many of their ingredients in raw form as possible, which also aids the body in digestion. Vitamineral Green, on the other hand, doesn’t say much about their methods for drying and processing their powder, which leads one to believe that it isn’t anything special. So as far as bio-availability goes, you might not be able to absorb this powder as much as you would other green powder formulas. That’s why we could only give them 3 stars for bio-availability.
Another factor to consider is the cost. Vitamineral Green is one of the most expensive green powder formulas on the market today. It generally costs $50 for a two month supply. Many of the more popular brands of green powder will be similarly priced, but for my money, I prefer something like Green Vibrance, because it not only has everything Vitamineral Green contains, it also has extras like herbal extracts for liver support and whole body wellness, and it also contains raw foods, which are rare to find in a green powder. So the choice is yours, as always.
Greens First On Sale Here
Greens First Green Powder Review
Greens First is a relatively new green powder to hit the market. There are a lot of great things about this green powder formula. It’s full of fruits and vegetables, high in antioxidants, and has a nice blend of grasses and algae. But there are a few drawbacks that you should be aware of before purchasing it.
- Serving Size — One subtle drawback that most people probably overlook is the serving size. Greens First has 30 servings per container, just like most green powders, yet the serving size for Greens First is only 9 grams, compared to other powders like Green Vibrance, which has a serving size of 12 grams. So even though you’re still getting 30 servings per container of Greens First, you’re actually getting 25% less product for the same price. That’s why we gave Greens First only 3 out of 5 stars for cost, because we think it’s overpriced compared to other brands.
- Filler Ingredients – In our opinion, Soy Lecithin and fiber are more like filler ingredients than anything else. Sure you need your fiber, but you really don’t need much soy lecithin, especially from a green powder. Soy lecithin comprises 1800mg per serving, that’s just under 20% of the overall serving. Fiber comprises 1950mg per serving, which comes in at just over 20% of the overall serving. So not only are you getting 25% less powder per serving compared with other brands, 40% of what you are getting is somewhat superfluous in our opinion.
- Process — Greens First green powder has a good manufacturing process. They flash dry their ingredients, keeping the enzymes and other vital nutrients intact. That’s definitely a pro. But this pro is offset by the fact that other manufacturers like Green Vibrance do the same thing, and usually at a cheaper price.
- Testimonials — All of the testimonials for this product are 100% positive. Though there aren’t that many of them yet, since this green powder is relatively new, people really seem to like the flavor and feeling they get from this product. This is a decent powder for the money, but if you’re really looking to get the most bang for your buck, check out the page up top where we go through what we believe to be the best green powder formulas on the market today.
Spirulina Pacifica on Sale Here
Hawaiian Spirulina Green Powder Review
We’ve already done a few reviews on Spirulina products, but it wouldn’t really be a complete green powder review site if we didn’t at least say something about Hawaiiam Spirulina pacifica. Spirulina produced in Hawaii is considered by most to be the best Spirulina in the world. There are a lot of varieties of Spirulina, and a lot of different habitats where Spirulina is grown. Since Spirulina is a very small algae, and since there are lots of them in every serving, it stands to reason that a better strain of Spirulina grown in a healthier environment will cause each microscopic algae to be more power packed with nutrients. That’s the theory anyway. And among Hawaiian Spirulina products, Nutrex is one of the best. They use a harvesting process that takes the Spirulina from the growing vat to a sealed bottle in just 30 minutes. And their state of the art drying and sealing techniques makes sure that the Spirulina powder is as fresh as humanly possible once it enters the bottle, and stays that way until you open it in your home. I’m really impressed with this company.
We rated this Spirulina with 4 out of 5 stars for completeness, as far as green powder formulas go. Spirulina is considered a superfood, and Nutrex Spirulina is definitely one of the very best Spirulina powders out there. But in the world of green powders, without the extra ingredients, things like probiotics, digestive enzymes, and herbal extracts, it’s just difficult to give 5 out of 5 stars. In order for a green powder to really be complete, we’d like to see all of those things present, especially the probiotics and digestive enzymes that help you digest the full range of nutrients offered by the formula. Many people have pretty lazy digestive systems from years of eating processed foods, sodas, and snacks, and just taking a great green formula might not always give you the nutritional value you’re looking for. If your digestive system is lazy and can’t really absorb everything you’re eating, then it’s always nice having an extra digestive boost that a lot of other formulas offer.
Cost is definitely a plus with this particular brand of Spirulina. It’s on sale right now and is even cheaper than a lot of the inferior brands out there. So if you’re in the market for a Spirulina powder, then this one is definitely a great one to consider. You really aren’t going to find a Spirulina powder that’s much better than this, and for the cost, it’s tough to beat. But, as always, the choice is yours.